PPA May 1, 2017 Alignment Meeting Summary and Documents
Jul 13, 2017
On 1 May, 2017, the PPA Governance Committee convened the ninth Alignment Session to share information, answer questions, and document progress and challenges on alignment, in particular the following issues:
- Identifying potential gaps and opportunities – in an evolving regulatory environment – to sustain progress in implementation of the Regional Certification Mechanism (RCM) in an evolving regulatory environment;
- Opportunities to collaborate and strengthen the implementation, alignment, and credibility of the RCM.
- Opportunities to enhance sharing of due diligence data and other information between upstream and downstream actors
- Key barriers and potential policies, practices and other solutions to support legal artisanal mining within national and regional requirements and frameworks
The summary of the meeting will soon be available in English.
Materials shared at or following the meeting are available (or will be posted when available) below:
- Links to reports on mine management, inspection data, licensing information, 3rd party audit results for exporters from Rwanda Natural Resources Authority
- Links to BGR bulletins, audit results, and arrêtés related to validation missions in DRC.
- Updated guidance on Dodd-Frank/SEC disclosures in a recent white paper: http://www.conflictfreesourcing.org/media/docs/CFSI_2017WhitePaper.pdf
- CFSI guidance and recommendations on what should be included in Step 5 reporting
- Examples of such reporting that CFSI has found most robust.
- CFSI/EPRM graphic on supply chain initiatives
- Forthcoming report analyzing 2015 Step 5 reports from companies sourcing 3Ts from the Great Lakes Region.
- Report on threats to civil society (English | French)
- Draft revision of the revised RCM Certification Manual (expected to start process in September 2017). This process will include stakeholder consultation; participants expressed interest in receiving updates on this process when possible and noted it as an opportunity to address alignment issues with complementary regional due diligence systems.
- 2015 Step 5 reports posted to website (2016 coming soon)
- An overview of a systemic review of 2011-2016 incidents – including incident type, reporting, mitigation, and follow-up (circulated in advance of this meeting and linked here)
- Local/provincial/national committee reports (available on the website)
- Responsible Artisanal Gold Solutions Forum Year 1 Lessons Learned (circulated prior to this meeting and linked here)
- A forthcoming due diligence toolkit from the Responsible Artisanal Gold Solutions Forum, developed by Partnership Africa Canada, Tetra Tech (with support from BSP), PAMP, and RESOLVE